FTL specialise in bespoke sealing solutions for critical applications. FTL is the leading authority on bespoke sealing solutions that cover multiple industries. From oil and gas to food and pharmaceuticals, our expertise is as versatile as the solutions we help to develop and implement.
Our business philosophy revolves around four core tenets that are tied to creative solutions, unrivalled customer service, decades of industry knowledge and a tireless pursuit of quality. Across all aspects of the business, we go in-depth.
At FTL we are focused on attractive markets where there is sustainable competitive advantage based on technology leading to high growth and profitability. FTL is part of the IDEX Sealing Solutions platform and a business unit within the IDEX family. With 7,000 employees and manufacturing operations in more than 20 countries, IDEX is a high-performing, global $2+ billion company committed to making trusted solutions that improve lives.
Job Location: FTL, Leeds
As Applications Engineer you will contribute to the Engineering Team with their overall objective of developing bespoke, innovative, and technical solutions. The role requires that you engage with the necessary individuals, teams, suppliers, and customers to deliver unmatched engineering proposals. As a proactive problem solver, you will help to provide solutions for demanding sealing applications based on given operating parameters while providing exceptional pre and post sales technical support to both internal and external customers.
The Applications Engineer will also aid in developing and maintaining strong customer relations by communicating with the customer on a technical level to enable growth within existing channels. New product development is key to our success and the Applications Engineer will support our programme of seal design and validation utilising both our in-house testing facilities and customer validation requirements.
The Applications Engineer will have a good understanding of engineering principles and have a good knowledge of the core products of FTL as well as those products available through the IDEX Sealing Solutions platform.
- Become a key member of a great team
- Achieve a solid understanding of the core FTL products and become a key contact within the business based on your knowledge and recognition as a subject matter expert.
- Produce Technical Proposals – to include concept designs, detail, assembly, and proposal drawings.
- Play a key role in the New Product Development activities through design, validation and testing of products within our Centre of Excellence in-house test facilities. Maintain test schedules, report writing, present results, suggest further work and alternative ideas.
- Provide a proactive approach to problem solving and look towards achieving solutions.
- Project management – collate application parameters, agree, and achieve milestones.
- Exercise customer obsession with face-to-face visits to achieve project progression.
- Maintain relationships with key customers, including making visits, and provide pre- and post-sales technical support for internal and external customers.
- Using an understanding of material properties, engineering principles and application knowledge provide technical proposals and engineered solutions to meet customer specifications following the RFQ process.
- Answer technical questions arising from proposals.
- Consultation with the Supply Chain Manager to identify suitable products and services.
- Conduct feasibility studies and design verification exercises
- Utilise the company’s Microsoft Dynamics AX Business Management Software and Microsoft Project packages to manage all projects and ensure the data is up to date.
- Deliver instant service and show engineering competence plus familiarity with customer and supplier arrangements.
- Work with the Sales, Production, Marketing, Quality Assurance, and the Supply Chain to ensure the correct level of technical support is provided where necessary
Job Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum HNC Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience in a similar Applications Engineering role and relevant industry, ideally with knowledge of sealing systems.
- Experience of CAD software, ideally Autodesk Inventor.
- A strong understanding of engineering principle and drawings.
- Strong communication skills and confident in dealing with internal teams and customers.
- Experience in developing technical reports and presentations.
- Good organizational skills.
- Experience of working with data collection, part numbering and document control systems.
- Attention to detail.
- Time management in a dynamic environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a methodical and structured approach
- Previous applications experience with dynamic seals.
- Experience in using CRM and ERP systems.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to: Mark McCormack, Engineering Director, FTL, email@example.com
Alternatively, if you would like to discuss the role further please contact Mark McCormack.
Last application date: Friday 13th May 2022, 5pm