Central Tire Inflation System
Increase traction and spread the weight
Central Tire Inflation System
Central Tire Inflation Systems (CTIS) maximize vehicle mobility and performance in demanding terrain and conditions, by adjusting the tire pressure to improve traction, eliminate tire leak and reduce soil compaction. This gives the driver complete control over a vehicle from inside the cab.
CTIS reduces overall operating costs and improves fuel consumption across all Road, Defense and Agriculture industries. CTI systems have three general goals:
- To inflate and deflate tires in accordance with changing road and load conditions
- To provide remote operation from within the vehicle cab
- Continuously check and maintains optimum tire pressure at all times.
- FTL (a unit of IDEX Corporation) is dedicated to providing engineered solutions to maximize mobility and enhance efficiency for Road, Agricultural and Military vehicles.
Incorrect tire pressures have a significant negative impact on the operational ability of a vehicle. From increased tire wear and fuel consumption through to ground compaction and increased driver fatigue, there are many links between poorly optimised tire pressures and poor vehicle performance.
Central Tire Inflation System has for many years been used on military vehicles where improvements in mobility has been the major requirement. Using lower tire pressures ‘off highway’ also produces significantly less damage to the road surface. This is particularly important in Forestry applications. The same applies in an Agricultural environment however; more important is the reduction in soil compaction which can decrease crop yields by up to 30%.
FTL's team of sealing experts has delivered CTI systems into military vehicle suppliers, agricultural industries and a diverse range of road-based operations. Our custom-engineering has resulted in the following customer benefits:
- tire life - your tires could last up to 15% longer
- Operational efficiency - keep your downtime to an absolute minimum
- Fleet mobility - ensure peak performance across all terrain in all weathers
- Driver comfort - average cabin vibration levels up to 10% lower
- Fuel consumption - save between 1% and 4% on fuel costs
- Wheel slip - incorrect pressures can result in up to 40% of engine power lost through tire slip
- Vehicle maintenance costs - average repair costs of just two cents per kilometre
- Road surface impact - better preservation of the top 200mm of road surface
- Risk of vehicle breakdown - just two tire bursts in five million kilometres of CTIS-assisted travel for one client
External or Internal system?
CTI systems are available in two main configurations - internal and external. The diagram below illustrates some of the key similarities and differences.
How can we help?
Contact our Central Tire Inflation System experts to build a system around your transport operations, or start a chat online.
|Military Vehicles||FTL’s Central Tire Inflation components have a proven pedigree on wheeled military vehicles including; Infantry Fighting Vehicles, Armoured Personnel Carriers, Utility Vehicles, Logistics Vehicles and Support Vehicles.
|Road Vehicles||On/off-road vehicles can adjust their tire pressures according to the terrain surface and the load being carried. CTI is particularly suitable for HGVs, Oil and Gas trucks, forestry, construction and logistics vehicles.
|Agricultural Vehicles||In agricultural environments, tire pressures can be adjusted to suit field operations to increase floatation and help to reduce soil compaction for; farming tractors, combined harvesters, trailers, sprayers and forage harvesters.
Central tire Inflation Seals
Central tire Inflation Seals are precision rotary seal systems which are used exclusively in axles and wheel drive systems on ‘off highway’ equipment
Koronite Wear Sleeves
In modern Central tire Inflation (CTI) hubs or axles, the CTI seals are crucial elements and often run on separate wear sleeves. These wear sleeves provide a running surface for
FTL designs and supplies a wide range of critical components for Central Tire Inflation Systems, focused on vehicle drivelines and suspension designs for the transportation industry. Central tire Inflation Wheel.
Rotary Wheel Valve
Among the Central Tire Inflation System components designed by FTL, Rotary Wheel Valves play a vital role in keeping vehicles mobile in the most challenging of operational conditions. Rotary Wheel.
Operator Control Panel
The Operator Control Panel (OCP) of a Central Tire Inflation System is the driver interface. Mounted in the dashboard of the vehicle cabin the driver is able to select different terrain